When faced with the sad and often sudden reality of losing a loved one, organising a respectful and fitting send-off can be difficult. To help you find the right funeral home for your loved one, our Gold Coast funeral directors have put together this guide to assist you in navigating this difficult journey, suggesting key considerations and services to be aware of when selecting a funeral home.
Understanding Your Needs
When you’re preparing to say your final goodbyes, you need to be sure that the funeral home offers a range of funeral services for you to choose from. Different funeral homes offer different services, and your selection may depend on your loved one’s wishes, cultural practices or personal preferences. Some popular funeral services include:
- Memorial Services: A memorial service offers a personalised tribute to your loved one. Traditionally, held after the burial or cremation has taken place, it offers flexibility in timing, ranging from a few days post funeral, to the commemoration of a death anniversary. A memorial service is very similar to a traditional funeral, but typically without the deceased present. Some families may choose to bring the ashes of their loved one in an urn, or to scatter these ashes as part of the service.
- Embalming: This is a preservation technique often chosen when there’s an open casket viewing or if there is a significant delay between a loved one’s passing and the burial or cremation. It may also be chosen for religious or cultural reasons (such as home viewings), for overseas or interstate repatriation and vault or mausoleum interments.
- Cremation and Burial: These are the most common methods of laying a loved one to rest. While around 80% of Australians prefer cremation to bid farewell to their loved ones, your loved one may have asked to be buried. Many funeral homes can facilitate both services, often in a variety of ways to suit personal wishes or religious customs.
Adapting To Modern Demands
With the changing times, funeral homes have adapted their services to cater to the evolving needs of the bereaved. Make sure you choose a funeral home which can incorporate modern technology into their funeral services. This may include:
- Virtual Funerals: With geographical distance, health concerns or other restrictions preventing loved ones from attending in person, virtual funerals offer an inclusive solution for everyone. It gives all friends and family members the opportunity to participate and share in the ceremony, no matter where they are in the world.
- Online Tribute Centre: Some funeral homes provide an online platform to commemorate your loved one. These tribute centres can feature pictures, stories and heartfelt messages from friends and family. These online contributions serve as a lasting digital memorial for the deceased and can be revisited by friends and family whenever they are missing their loved ones.
Caring For The Environment
Amid growing awareness and concern for our planet, some people are looking for environmentally friendly funeral options. Many funeral homes are now incorporating environmental practices into various funeral services to ensure they are doing their part for the planet.
- Environmentally Friendly Funeral Options: Some funeral homes offer environmentally friendly alternatives such as biodegradable coffins, natural burials or eco-friendly cremation processes. It’s a thoughtful choice that ensures your farewell respects not only your loved one but also the world they leave behind.
Make The Right Choice With Newhaven Funerals
Every person is unique, and every life deserves to be honoured in a way that reflects their individuality. The right funeral home should respect this, providing flexible and compassionate services tailored to your needs. Be sure to choose a place that offers a comforting environment, knowledgeable staff, and a range of services that cater to your specific needs.
At Newhaven Funerals, we believe in providing personal and dignified services to honour your loved one. We offer a range of compassionate services, including memorial services, embalming, cremation, burial, environmentally friendly funeral options, virtual funerals and an online tribute centre. Locally owned by the Connolly Family since 1979, our funeral directors are here to support and guide you every step of the way. To learn more about our services, get in touch with us today.